Leftover Turkey Udon with Orange and Miso
- 1 orange divided
- 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 2 large shallots peeled and thinly sliced into wedges
- 8 cups water turkey stock, or chicken stock
- 2½ cups leftover turkey cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ cup prepared cranberry sauce
- 2 carrots peeled and julienned
- Chili oil to taste
- Shichimi togarashi to taste
- 12 ounces udon noodles cooked according to package instructions
- 4 eggs for serving
- ¼ cup tamari or low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin or use a pinch of sugar and a splash of rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon miso
- Salt and pepper
Prepare the orange:
- Use a peeler to peel off 3 small strips of orange zest and set them aside. Juice the orange into a bowl.
Cook the broth:
- Heat 1 tablespoon neutral oil into a large pot over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5–6 minutes until it softens. Add the strips of orange peel and half of the orange juice. Add a sprinkle of shichimi togarashi or crushed red pepper to taste. Pour in the stock or water. Season with salt and pepper and then bring to a boil. Reduce heat, add the turkey, and simmer for 30 minutes.
Prepare the cranberry sauce and carrots:
- Place the cranberries in a small saucepan and turn the heat to medium. Once they bubble, reduce the heat to low and add the remaining orange juice. Add the chili oil and another shake or two of shichimi togarashi. Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Combine the carrots in a bowl and add a sprinkle of salt. Drizzle with 1–2 teaspoons of chili oil. Toss to coat and set aside.
- Cook the noodles and eggs: While the broth simmers, prepare the noodles according to package instructions.
- Cook the eggs for 7–8 minutes in low-boiling water and then add to an ice bath. Peel and then halve lengthwise. Set aside.
Finish the broth:
- Taste the broth and stir in the tamari, mirin, sesame oil, and miso. Once the miso has melted into the broth, turn off the heat. Taste and season once more.
- Divide cooked noodles between bowls and place two egg halves on top. Ladle the turkey and broth on top. Serve with cranberry sauce and sliced carrots on top. Enjoy!